The Last Word: The Thoughts of a Beauty Blogger



  

Can We Talk?  The Art of Giving Back

Several weeks back, while on a weekend hiatus, I was sitting and sipping on a Starbuck's venti Caramel Macchiato enjoying breakfast club, I couldn't help but feel blessed and thankful for the life I have lived. A life like everyone else's, one filled with joys and sorrows. So,  I am so honored to announce that I was selected to volunteer my time and freelance MUA services to a worthy cause that is close to my heart.

Tomorrow afternoon I will be going to the Volunteer Orientation for the local chapter of Dress for Success. I like many others came across this wonderful organization through a referral. Mine was from the Domestic Shelter that I was housed in, and yes me too, a "college educated" woman, who like they say, "should have seen the warning signs", was involved in a abusive relationship. Once I got my opportunity to get of out it, I ran for the hills and didn't look back. That also meant leaving all my things behind and I couldn't take all my things to the shelter with me. You take what's important and get the heck out!

Dress for Success and, its male counterpart, Suited for Success are organizations committed to helping the disadvantage through their: Suiting Program, you are given a referral to received a interview outfit and once you start working, two weeks of clothing to get you through until get your first paycheck to get clothes. Women are often leaving their lives behind with nothing but the clothing on their backs. Being able to browse through their local Dress for Success Boutique was a special treat for me. I was able to thrift some classic and vintage pieces from top designers from the past, Oleg Cassini, to current designers such as Marc Jacobs. The volunteers were very helpful and seem to be more excited to play in the clothes than I was. The cream of the crop was when I received my own new set of Bobbi Brown Cosmetics for my interview. At the time, I had no idea just how expensive this makeup was, but I cherished it just the same. These items are still on my makeup table to this day! They also offer Employment Retention and Job Training Programs.

I always knew that I would find a way to give back to this worthy cause, and I jumped on the first chance I had to do just that, so to say I am excited about volunteering my time to Dress for Sucess is an understatement! I encourage everyone to find that worthy cause that's dear to their heart and volunteer their time.

I would like to close with Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, who says, "The life of a man consists not in seeing visions and in dreaming dreams, but in active charity and in willing service."

Please comment, like, and share! *Muah! 



The Honey,

Popular Posts